Freitag, 1. August 2014

A little list of countermeasures against missing something/ homesickness

Hey there, how was your week?

As promised, this time the follow up post is sooner than usual (well, rather exceptionally there doesn't lie a gab of several months between them for once!^^''). Well this time I'm going to talk about a topic that had been alien to me up to the time when I came back from Japan: Homesickness. "... Wait, what? She's not even gone to London yet and she already talks about being homesick while still being AT HOME?!", some of you might think right now. Well, be it preventive or be it just to remind myself (and you guys of course) of what to do against it, yes, I want to write about it.

I know it might sound stupid, and seriously I'm so mad at me right now, but recently I started to feel homesick again...for JAPAN! Just a few weeks before I'll be gone to London for at least one year..I mean seriously?! This is like the most horrible timing possible, since I don't plan to be homesick over there..neither for Switzerland (Well this most likely isn't going to happen anyway) NOR Japan. Therefore I put together a few things that help me (and hopefully may help you too) if the place (or person) of your heart is farer away than you can reach right now:

1) Listen to music: I am a person who connects everything with music. Memories, special days, places and persons. If I start to miss my friends of another country, I listen to the music they like, they showed to me or the music that make me think of them. I even have a book were my friends can write music that is important to them into. It definitely helps, you'll feel connected with them.

2) The power of the mind: If I feel lonely it always proofs helpful to assort my thoughts. The whole world seems so much smaller and your beloved ones nearer if you make yourself clear that we all are under the same sky, see the same stars and live under the same sun. You can daydream yourself to the place of your choice, imaging what you would be doing right now and with whom, trying to remember what the atmosphere of that place is like, what particular smells and noises you were surrounded with and in general trying to remember your memories as vivid as possible. With the time you'll get really good at it (I practiced daydreaming a lot in school up to the point I wasn't sure if my being in school wasn't the daydream rather than my striving through Osaka's shopping miles and strolling through the park of America town). Doing this can be extremely relieving; but warning: Even if temporary helpful it could cause your homesickness to get even worse afterwards.. An alternative option would be to make plans. Inform yourself and think about the best possibilities and what you need to do in order to go/return to that certain place. planning makes you optimistic and brings a change of thought, and on top of that the good thing about plans compared to day dreams is that plans eventually will come true (if they are realistic enough, otherwise they aren't plans anymore but daydreams!;))

3) Friends and family / communication: Even if they aren't with you right now, we are luckily born into the age of internet, Facebook, Whatsapp, Skype, emails and whatsoever. So you should just talk with them about you being homesick - it really helps. Maybe you can make some sort of ritual as I did with one of my friends: Every time we saw the full moon we would think of each other, so if you looked upon the moon you knew that the other person somewhere else in the world would look at it and think of you as well, which also gives you the strong feeling of connection and closeness regardless to the distance between you. Also talk with your host family and local friends about it, because they will understand you better and probably can help you (even if you don't think so - you'll be surprised!). So in short: Just COMMUNICATE and TALK with the persons around you. Tell them about your feelings, because that will definitely create closeness and trust, which will help you feeling more comfortable and at home.

4) Change: If you're everyday in the same negative spiral, in the same surrounding doing the same things, it's really hard to change your feelings for the better. Therefore: Go out for a walk, undertake something with friends, go on a short trip somewhere and just surround yourself with positive energy and people that make you feel comfortable, positive and cheerful. Laughing is the best medicine against a lots of things, so if you're having fun with good people you'll most likely start to feel better as well.

5) Make the best out of it: I know that sounds lame, but it really depends on you in the end wether you are willing to see the glass half filled or empty. Of course your situation most likely is awful if you're being homesick, but if you let your thoughts circle around nothing but your agony, then it will only get worse. So you really should try to just bear with it and take a step back to view at your situation from the outside: What can I do to make my situation better? What blessings do I have around myself that I maybe not realize or appreciate enough (there may be a lot of persons trying to reach you - if you open up a bit and give them a chance to get close to you, you'll be surprised and maybe even feel more at home)?What are the good points of my situation? How can I maximize them? By questioning yourself in this manner you will start to find the positive things even in the biggest mess, which make problems a lot easier to deal with.

I hope that you'll find one or two useful tips amongst the things I listed above and say goodbye for now(Truth is I just returned from an awesome trip with some of my closest friends and therefore am terribly tired but couldn't sleep, therefore I'll write about the trip in my next post).


Take care of yourself,



your cheeky devil

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen